Thursday, April 19, 2007

Follow Up: Tuesday Tech Rant

Hey everyone,

Really enjoyed the chat on Tuesday. Just wanted to follow up by posting some of the links I had mentioned. I really started to think about the applications of technology and the one thing that really stood out for me was that the computer is currently the only gateway to technology being used. Not everyone has one, so what about the 3rd screen? The mobile phone. It is shunned in schools, but I believe that students have the closest tech connection with their phones and sprinkle some social learning into the mix and I think you have a interesting scenario. I'm actually trying to get into contact with a media education professor here at NYU to see if we can't put some kind of research study together. I welcome comments and also wondered if anyone would like offer their class as a testing ground? $0 to launch and I think the kids will love it although it needs to be matched with an incentive program.


http://www.victorhousefilms.com/Movies/clients_dmw.html - video on millenials, what makes em tick

www.twitter.com - TXT MSG communication tool

www.reader.google.com - RSS aggregator: monitor all you website from one location

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks - Just amazing ideas from the world's top thinkers, some great ones on education in the 3rd world like the $100 laptop and the fab labs I talked about. Forget the exact talks but poke around.

www.ypulse.com - youth trends great site

www.terranova.com - academic look at how people interact in virtual worlds

www.secondlife.com - the leading virtual world

www.there.com - another virtual world, easier to get into, but less possibilities

www.psfk.com - great trend blog also check out the purple list on the site to find the coolest art/design/education/graffitti/etc events in NYC, maybe a few of em can inspire.

Take care,

ST

4 comments:

Bruce said...

Hi Seni,

Just spent the evening looking at the different websites you posted.I found them to be enlightening as I feel out of touch
regarding the latest trends.I enjoyed listening to you the other night and hope our class can keep the dialogue going with you. As an educator is important that we branch out and communicate with others who want to make positive differences in this world with the use of technology.
Regarding the telephone project the children that I teach are in kindergarten. They carry around their parents broken or old cell phones and pretend that they are
using them. I see younger and younger children with cell phones but not kindergarteners yet! I am sure that will change too in the near future.

stevenmudrick said...

Nice collection of websites. Much to learn about here. Thanks for putting them together.

The moblie telephone is certainly an interesing avenue to explore. I see it playing a role to increase communication between students and intructors, and students and students. I do not see it as a vehicle for instruction, but certainly a supporting tool.

Enjoyed our talk and appreciate you making the time to come.

Douglas Clarke said...

Seni, thanks for these wonderful sites. Your ideas are well received. You would make an excellent teacher. Keep it up. Thanks for your effort and time. We enjoyed every moment of it. Thanks and come again.

Aarosc2007 said...

This is really great! I've enjoyed everything you've offered. Thanks for dropping by and hope to see and speak with you soon. If you've anything else you think would interest us please pass it on.